Compendium of accessible water, sanitation and hygiene technologies
This compendium presents low-cost technologies to improve the accessibility of household water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) facilities. It is designed for use by people working directly with communities in rural areas of sub-Saharan Africa, including health workers and community volunteers.
Most of the ideas are designed to ensure access for disabled and older people, but are suitable for anyone who may have difficulty using standard facilities. Families can adapt the examples described to suit their needs and budgets. The main focus is on household facilities rather than institutional facilities, although some ideas might also be useful in these settings.
How to use the compendium
- as a starting point for discussion with households
- as a way of encouraging communities to consider design options
- in disabled people’s organisations, and older people's’ associations
- as flashcards - enlarge the images and stick them on card
- as posters - print the images and use them for group discussions
For more information on the compendium please contact [email protected]